- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) is a two-day interactive workshop provided by LivingWorks on suicide first aid. ASIST teaches participants to recognize when someone may have thoughts of suicide and work with them to create a plan that will support their immediate safety. Although ASIST is widely used by healthcare providers, participants don't need any formal training to attend the workshop—anyone 16 or older can learn and use the ASIST model.
- Assessing and Managing Suicide Risk (AMSR) is a one-day training workshop provided by the Suicide Prevention Resource Center for behavioral health professionals. The 6.5-hour training program is based on the latest research and designed to help participants provide safer suicide care.
- Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) Training – A 40-hr mental health training provided by Oakland Community Health Network for law enforcement officers. Officers will learn about topics related to mental illness that include diagnosis, medications, substance use disorders, suicide, community resources, and de-escalation strategies/role-playing scenarios.
- Counseling on Access to Lethal Means (CALM) is a 2-hr online course provided by the Suicide Prevention Resource Center intended for mental health professionals. It will teach you how to ask suicidal patients/clients about their access to lethal means, and work with them and their families to reduce their access.
- safeTALK is a 1/2-day day class provided by LivingWorks is a half-day alertness training that prepares anyone 15 or older, regardless of prior experience or training, to become a suicide-alert helper. Most people with thoughts of suicide don’t truly want to die, but are struggling with the pain in their lives. Through their words and actions, they invite help to stay alive. safeTALK-trained helpers can recognize these invitations and take action by connecting them with life-saving intervention resources, such as caregivers trained in ASIST.
- QPR Online Gatekeeper Training is a 1-hr online course offered by the QPR Institute that teaches how to Question, Persuade, and Refer someone who may be suicidal. QPR also offers special group workshops and professional courses.
- Mental Health First Aid is a skills-based training course offered by USA Mental Health First Aid that teaches participants about mental health and substance-use issues. Various trainings are offered including courses directed at adults, teens, youth, public safety, fire/EMS, veterans and more.
- Working Minds: Suicide Prevention in the Workplace are training programs offered by the Suicide Prevention Resource Center to help workplace administrators and employees better understand and prevent suicide. The 2-hour training gives participants the tools and skills to appreciate the critical need for suicide prevention while creating a forum for dialogue and critical thinking about workplace mental health challenges. The 8-hour “Train the Trainer” course gives participants the tools to deliver the 2-hour Working Minds Training in the community.
If you have corrections to this page, or would like to add another valuable training course to this list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.